When the Dodgers signed Brandon Beachy, they likely felt he would be able to compete for a roster spot. In his most recent outing, he allowed six runs and walked four.
Beachy is not on the club's 40-man roster and is competing with several other potential starters.
The latest around the rest of the NL West:
- Andre Ethier is suffering from a lower leg contusion, but X-Rays were negative. He is listed as day-to-day.
- San Francisco has the weakest outfield arms in baseball, according to MLB.com.
- Andrew Chafin has not had much success with the Diamondbacks but seems to be the favorite to win one of the final two bullpen jobs.
- Two days after being released by the White Sox, Mike Olt signed a deal with the Padres. However, Olt won't be involved in major league camp.
- Eddie Butler and Tom Murphy were both reassigned to minor league camp.
- San Diego passed on Ian Desmond and signed Alexei Ramirez instead. He has thrived to this point in spring training.
- Andy McCullough of The Los Angeles Times was told Hyun-Jin Ryu might not make 20 starts or toss 150 innings this season.