James Shields has been mentioned in trade rumors over the last few days, and since the Red Sox are hoping to add starting depth, they emerged as a candidate to land the veteran right-hander.
While Shields might be an upgrade over the other options being considered, Boston was not fond of Shields when he was a free agent and it does not appear their attitude has changed.
More from around the National League West:
- Arizona is not pleased with the current condition of Chase Field and is making that quite clear. On Thursday, the team issued a press release criticizing Maricopa County.
- There are plenty of veterans for the Padres to choose from when it comes time to assign bullpen roles. But some easily have an advantage.
- Ian Kennedy and Justin Upton are out in San Diego. How did the Padres spent the extra cash?
- Scott Kazmir left his Saturday start with abdominal pain, but he claimed he OK.
- Yasiel Puig was scratched from Los Angeles' lineup with left hamstring tightness.
- Forbes says the Giants are worth $2.25 billion.
- This is exactly how the Diamondbacks will win the division in 2016.
- Jorge De La Rosa will be Colorado's Opening Day starter.