Entering Spring Training, the Marlins were set to hold a competition for the final spot in their rotation.
Edwin Jackson, Brad Hand, David Phelps, Justin Nicolino and Adam Conley all had the opportunity to earn a starting job.
After a solid spring, Conley won the competition.
Over 9.2 innings this spring, Conley pitched to a 1.86 ERA. While he did have success in his spring outings, Conley's performance as the 2015 campaign ended likely factored into the Marlins' decision.
Over 67.0 innings, Conley pitched to a 3.76 ERA and 3.81 FIP.
More news from around the National League East:
- Although the Mets were reportedly interested in adding another catcher, Kevin Plawecki made the club's Opening Day roster.
- Mark Appel and Zach Eflin had an amusing Twitter exchange this week.
- Drew Stubbs had a productive week with the Braves.
- Dee Gordon's approach this season is to simply make contact.
- Bryce Harper is thrilled the Nationals are finally back in D.C.
- Coming off of Tommy John surgery, Josh Edgin is working to rejoin the Mets this season.
- Will Venable joins the Phillies after being released by Cleveland.
- Carlos Torres opted out of his contract with the Braves.
- Mike Rizzo is still speaking highly of Trea Turner.