Oakland was hoping Sam Fuld would be able to return from a rotator cuff injury relatively quickly, but that hasn't been the case.
At the end of March, it seemed the Athletics were hoping Fuld would be able to return within three weeks. However, that quickly appeared unrealistic.
Fuld is set to have shoulder surgery on May 18 and was transferred to the 60-day disabled list, according to John Shea of The San Francisco Chronicle.
More from around the American League West:
- Houston is closer to getting Lance McCullers Jr. back, according to Jake Kaplan of The Houston Chronicle. He will pitch in extended Spring Training on Monday and toss between 60 and 75 pitches.
- Fuld's injury is not the only one the A's need to worry about. Chris Bassitt is also headed to the DL after watching his velocity drop, Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle points out.
- Josh Hamilton is set to begin his rehab assignment Saturday.
- Steve Cishek has been a pleasant surprise for the Mariners to this point in 2016.
- One bad inning plagued the Angels on Friday night.
- Not even a month into the season, the Athletics have been forced to turn to their depth.
- Are you a fan of hard-hit balls? If you are, the Astros are your team.