Kyle Schwarber is out for the rest of the season as a result of a fully torn ACL and LCL.
Schwarber was expected to be a key contributor for the Cubs entering 2016, especially given his early power. Now, Chicago will be forced to explore other options.
Jorge Soler will likely receive the most playing time in Schwarber's absence, according to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, but Joe Maddon also plans to use Tommy La Stella.
Here is the latest from the National League Central:
- How can we tell if the Cardinals are pressing? What would a panic look like? Viva El Birdos has the answer.
- Lou Brock is still planning on attempting to throw out the first pitch in the Cardinals' home opener.
- The Pirates are already taking advantage of their bullpen flexibility.
- Gregory Polanco's extension could set the standard for the next wave of contract extensions.
- It didn't take very long for the Reds to call up Brandon Allen.
- Brew Crew Ball ranked the Brewers' walk-up songs.