New York placed CC Sabathia on the 15-day disabled list with a left groin strain, the club announced Friday.
An MRI revealed a Grade 1 strain, according to ESPN's Wallace Matthews, and as a result, Manager Joe Girardi is expecting Sabathia to be out for longer.
The injury appeared to occur when in the fourth inning of New York's 7-0 win over the Orioles, Girardi told Matthews.
Ivan Nova is set to replace Sabathia in the rotation, but it will likely remain a blow to the Yankees' pitching staff.
More from around the AL East:
- Jacoby Ellsbury left Friday's Red Sox-Yankees with what seemed to be a lower body injury.
- Boston optioned Henry Owens to Triple-A and recalled Sean O'Sullivan. In order to make room for him on the 40-man roster, the Red Sox transferred Pablo Sandoval on the 60-day DL.
- Adam Jones hasn't been the same since suffering from an oblique injury.
- Evan Longoria will be featured on MLB Network's "Play Ball."
- Tampa Bay has had difficult hitting righties. Is it time to panic?
- The Red Sox's offense has been productive, but it hasn't had much success against left-handed pitchers.
- Is it time for Hyun-Soo Kim to receive more playing time?