Detroit placed shortstop Jose Iglesias on the 15-day disabled list with a left hamstring strain, according to MLB.com’s Jason Beck.
Warwick Saupold was recalled in the corresponding roster move Friday.
Although Andrew Romine is an option to serve as the starting shortstop short term, the Tigers might be forced to consider external options. Third baseman Nick Castellanos is also out, and the Tigers have been challenged to work around injuries to Cameron Maybin, Mike Pelfrey and Jordan Zimmermann.
Iglesias, 26, is having a down offensive year, batting .249/.297/.328.
If the Tigers are considering a trade, Zack Cozart could be an option, although the Mariners appeared to be reluctant to deal him in advance of the non-waiver trade deadline.
More from around the American League Central:
- The Indians and Tigers have similar schedules the last two months of the season, so if Cleveland collapses, it’s the team’s responsibility.
- Kansas City can learn a lot from the 2014 Atlanta Braves.
- Chicago placed Miguel Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list. Chris Beck was recalled in the corresponding roster move.
- Michael Tonkin has changed how he attacks hitters, and the change in approach might be valuable entering this off-season.
- Joe Jimenez is having success, which will likely make him a candidate to be called upon by the Tigers when rosters expand in September.