Even after signing Edwin Encarnacion, which had a significant effect on the club’s payroll, the Indians have “stayed in touch” with other free agents and are considering adding Jose Bautista, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
Though the club is considering several current free agent options, its payroll situation might prevent any major deals from getting done. However, the thought of signing Bautista and again adding him to a lineup featuring Encarnacion could be tempting.
Bautista, 36, is among the best free agents available and is coming off of a 2016 season during which he hit .234/.366/.452 with 22 home runs and 69 RBIs.
Here is the latest from around the American League Central:
- Justin Verlander believes he is too old to help the Tigers rebuild, but it might come to a point where he doesn’t have a choice.
- To this point, the White Sox have been effective with regard to piecing together their potential 2017 bullpen.
- Greg Holland reportedly wants a two-year contract, which the Royals might not be in the best position to give him.
- The Twins signed Ryan Vogelsong as the Brian Dozier trade rumors continue.
- Miguel Cabrera has always played well against the Indians, and it’s unlikely that changes in the near future.