Mike Napoli has been in talks with the Rangers for the past few weeks, with a one-year contract being the offer at hand. However, a year alone isn’t going to fly. The veteran slugger really wants a two year deal, but Texas isn’t so fast to cut a check. Let’s see if the Rangers will budge or this stalemate will make it deep into spring training.
Here’s what else is happening around the American League West:
- Tyler O’Neill is burning his way through the minor leagues and Mariners fans everywhere should be crazy excited about him.
- ICYMI: Luis Valbuena of the Astros has signed a deal with the Angels. High treason.
- Here’s the best possible batting order the Angles can come up with in 2017.
- Missing: The Old Billy Beane. If found, please return to Oakland in one piece. He is dearly missed. Absolutely not to be confused with Brad Pitt.
- The Rangers have outrighted Brady Dragmire and signed Wesley Wright.
- The Mariners are working on getting more pitching...sorta. In the same breathe, Seattle DFA’ed Jesus Sucre and picked up Dillon Overton.
- Who doesn’t like extra money? The Rangers are predicted to get $7.2M for 2017 draft bonus slots and pools. Yay, capital!
- With the rumor mill quieting down, are the Angles still after Matt Wieters?
- If healthy, Jed Lowrie will be the starting second baseman for the Athletics and honestly we’re just as confused as you are.
- Sidebar: Seattle also designated catcher Tuffy Gosewisch for assignment ever so casually.
- In a time of great divide and the polarization of the human race, let’s not forget that the diversity and love of the great game of baseball is what brings all of us together.
- Huston Street is the literal best, you guys.
- The Athletics have definitely improved on defense, so that’s a bright spot...right?