Though it’s unlikely the Pirates move center fielder Andrew McCutchen before the season begins, McCutchen continues to draw interest from multiple clubs, according to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe.
The Blue Jays were linked to McCutchen at the end of the season, but several other teams would likely be involved if he becomes available.
McCutchen, 30, struggled with the Pirates last season, batting .256/.336/.430 with 24 home runs and 79 RBIs. He would be a reasonable addition financially because he is under club control next season, and his contract includes a club option for 2018.
Here’s more from around the National League Central:
- The Cubs are one of the two favorites to sign free agent Tyson Ross, though the club could also consider other starting options.
- Even after adding Dexter Fowler, the Cardinals would likely benefit from the addition of another outfielder.
- Brewers pitching prospect Jorge Lopez has had a notable amount of success playing winter ball.
- Brandon Phillips most recently blocked a trade to the Braves and it’s unlikely he gets traded any time soon.
- The Pirates are in talks to acquire Jose Quintana, who the White Sox may or may not trade this offseason.