With John Farrell unsurprisingly fired as the Red Sox manager, Boston is in the market for a new skipper.
Alex Cora is currently the front runner for Farrell’s vacancy. The current Astros bench coach, Cora is highly regarded with all of the players and coaches he’s worked with. He’d be a fresh face in the managerial arena, which raises both excitement and concern. Cora’s age also plays a role in his effectiveness as manager, that he’ll be able to relate and work with Boston’s young core better than someone who may have more experience in a manager position, can’t connect with their players.
Fellow dismissed manager Brad Ausmus could only be a viable option for Boston. He’s a former player and already had experience, even if that experience is with that disaster of the Tigers. He’s not the ideal choice for fans, but it wouldn’t be a huge shock is Dave Dombrowski went with someone who has dipped their toes into the leadership pool, no matter how disastrous.
Here’s what other news and rumors are going down across the American League East:
- Somehow, some way, Richard Bleier was really good for the Orioles.
- These are the best moments from the Blue Jays 2017 season.
- Derek Jeter could continue to dismantle the Yankees organization.
- In an effort to not repeat history next year, here are the five worst moments from the 2017 Rays season. Take notes.
- Darren O’Day’s 2017 season provided more value than disappointment for the Orioles.
- Feeling inspired this offseason? Write your best Blue Jays haiku to help process your sadness.
- Finding more rest for the Red Sox rotation for the 2018 season.
- The postseason success of Tommy Kahnle could be key to Yankees advancing.
- Several Rays are featured in Baseball America’s league top-20 rankings.
- The Orioles are going to have some real money to spend on free agents.
- Greg Bird has silenced all of his critics.
- The Rays charter plane to provide hurricane relief in Puerto Rico.