The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Have you entered our mock GM contest yet? Put yourself in the driver’s seat for your favorite team and you could win a sweet prize. Check it out here for the complete contest details and rules.
The devastation in Texas, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean right now has reached catastrophic levels. One of the best things about baseball is how inherently human it is in its glorious unpredictability and power to unite millions of people from different background in one singular moment. Now, the most human thing to do is help the people suffering. Here’s how to help Houston after Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma was no better. Here’s how A’s pitcher Jharel Cotton is raising money for Hurricane Irma relief efforts throughout the Virgin Islands that you can contribute to. Here’s how you can help Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
- Here’s the latest from around the National League East.
- Ranking every MLB team’s best free agent signing of 2017.
- In a somewhat shocking move, the Phillies have fired Pete Mackanin.
- White Sox' pitcher Carlos Rodon has undergone successful shoulder surgery.
- Which managers are on the hot seat after this season?
- Ever wonder what would have happened if the Yankees traded Derek Jeter in 1996? Our good friends at Out of the Park Baseball simulation that scenario for us and the results are pretty shocking (and depending who you root for, depressing).
- The Mets plan to tender Matt Harvey.
- Because it’s officially the offseason for most teams, the Cardinals are expected to ‘strongly pursue’ Blue Jays’ Josh Donaldson.
- It’s as official as you can get: the MLB owners have approved the sale of Marlins to Derek Jeter.
- Mets' skipper Terry Collins announces his retirement.
- The Rangers may pursue Lorenzo Cain.
- October baseball is good baseball! Here are game times and TV info for first week of the MLB postseason.
- The Rays will listen on Chris Archer and Alex Colome this offseason.
- It’s official: the Tigers will have the first overall pick in the in 2018 MLB Draft.
- It’s been 10 years since that one time Matt Holliday didn’t touch home plate.
- Two Rangers fans got married at Globe Life Park...while the game was happening. Can’t say I’m not jealous.
- Carlos Ruiz and Corey’s brother Kyle Seager shake hands and lock eyes while screaming different animal names in Spanish before every game, which is totally normal.
- George Springer’s first grade teacher came to watch him play, and she brought cookies.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Want to be the most stylish person you know this offseason? Check out our latest shirt with BreakingT and be the envy of all your friends and loved ones.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1983, Carl Yastrzemski plays in his 3,308th and final game.