The Pirates are still open to trading Andrew McCutchen. The center fielder, now converted right fielder, slashed a mere 256/.336/.430 in 2016, a huge dip from his previous two seasons. Second baseman Josh Harrison is also up for auction if the right offer is made.
Here’s what else is happening in the National League Central:
- The Pirates have traded RHP Frank Duncan to the Diamondbacks in exchange for infielder Phil Gosselin.
- Cincinnati has traded Brandon Phillips to the Braves for two minor-league pitchers.
- St. Louis has landed four prospects on Baseball Prospectus’ Top 101.
- If you’re feeling down about the Brewers, keep in mind their farm system has some serious depth. Milwaukee has landed six prospects on Baseball America’s Top 100.
- The Cubs and Pedro Strop have officially avoided arbitration.
- Pittsburgh has acquired righty Pat Light. In turned, they’ve designated Lisalverto Bonilla.
- Just as quickly as Pittsburgh released Bonilla, the Reds have claimed him.
- Who will be the Cardinals Opening Day starter?
- Want your writing featured on Brew Crew Ball? Here’s your chance!
- Here’s a look at Cubs spring training season tickets and what you need to know if you’re heading to a game.
- The Reds sign Desmond Jennings to a minor-league contract.
- Seung Hwan Oh was named the seventh-best relief pitcher for 2017, so that’s not too shabby for St. Louis.
- Chicago has made a contract offer to Travis Wood.