St. Louis voided its contract with pitcher Kendry Flores because he didn’t pass his physical, according to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch.
Flores was reportedly plagued by shoulder issues but was prepared to join the Cardinals on a minor league deal. He doesn’t have much major league experience, pitching three innings with the Marlins last season and 12.2 innings with Miami in 2015.
It was unlikely Flores would have earned a roster spot, though he would have added valuable depth for the Cardinals.
Here is the latest from around the National League Central:
- It seems there is a chance the Cubs turn to a six-man rotation as the 2017 season progresses.
- Yadier Molina will always be viewed as a catcher because of his last name, but perhaps the Cardinals consider him at first base sooner rather than later.
- Sean Rodriguez is expected to miss the entire 2017 season, which is awful news for the Brave and former Pirates utilityman.
- The Reds signed Ryan Raburn to a minor league deal and there is a chance he earns a spot on Cincinnati’s roster.
- Manny Pina could emerge as a breakout candidate for the Brewers in 2017.