The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Here’s a roundup of what’s going on in the National League Central.
- The Royals and the face of Kansas City, Eric Hosmer, are discussing a contract extension.
- San Diego signed Jered Weaver to a one-year deal. Does that mean the starting rotation is locked and loaded for the Padres now?
- Here are the five breakout candidates for the 2017 season, so get your jersey money ready.
- Baseball needs a lot of things right now, but the most pressing isn’t a new pitching clock or extra innings reform: it’s kindness.
- The Cardinals are discussing a contract extension with catcher Yadier Molina.
- The Orioles have re-signed Michael Bourne.
- The Yankees have signed Niese to a minor-league deal to the tune of the entire Bronx groaning.
- The Nationals have signed veteran catcher Matt Wieters.
- Spring training is here, but gasp, that also means that spring training yips are here too.
- These are the best presidential names in baseball history.
- Will 2017 go down as the year Shelby Miller makes a triumphant return?
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On February 22nd, 2008, the Mets, who had not gone to arbitration with a player in 16 years, lose their case against lefty pitcher Oliver Perez.