The Cubs have agreed to a one year contract extension with closer Pedro Strop. A team option for 2019 has also been included in the deal. Last season, Strop earned a 2.85 ERA with a 0.89 WHIP in 54 outings.
Here’s what other news is floating around the National League Central:
- Tyler Glasnow is the Pirates most talented and promising prospect, but he needed to master a fourth pitch this offseason to keep up with big league expectations.
- Dilson Herrera won’t play in the World Baseball Classic due to lingering shoulder issues. As if the Reds needed any more bad news before the season started, this is certainly not a good sign.
- What could the wild card be in this year’s Cardinals roster? Surprisingly, their bench will be key in the team’s success for 2017.
- Baseball America has ranked the Brewers farm system #8 in baseball, so the future looks bright kiddos.
- Kyle Schwarber will be the Cubs leadoff hitter next season.
- Be sure to look out for these four storylines that will play out for the Pirates this spring training.
- The Reds began baseball season by losing to the Giants in walk-off fashion. Let’s hope they get these loses out of their system now.
- Could Kolton Wong get moved to the outfield next season?
- Milwaukee is expected to be very active on the international free agent market.
- Cubs photo day could not have gotten us any more excited for baseball season. Take a peak if you need a good laugh.
- Here are all the Cincinnati players you should be keeping tabs on this spring training.
- Think about this: would the Cardinals be worse off with Albert Pujols?