The Blue Jays have signed right-hand reliever Joe Smith to a one-year contract. Smith started last season with the Angels before heading over to the Cubs. The 32-year old had a 3.46 ERA in 2016, recording six saves and 40 strikeouts. Smith will be the night cap on Toronto bullpen acquisitions, with the team now leaving spring training to decide on the pecking order. The monetary perimeters of this deal have yet to be released.
Here’s what else is going down in the American League Central:
- Here are the Rays top prospects for first base, so now you know what names to look out for.
- The Red Sox may have shaken the Curse of Babe Ruth, but there are still some lingering supernatural tendencies to the team. So can Chris Sale avoid the first year jinx of Boston?
- Can the Orioles find some good bargains this late in the offseason or has the bottom of the barrel been scraped?
- Nine Yankees prospects were named in this year’s Baseball Prospectus Top 101. Talk about overachieving.
- The Rays need to sign Blake Snell to a contract extension...like now...or it’ll cost them big time.
- Did you know Randy Johnson was almost a member of the Blue Jays? Well, apparently no one else did either.
- Xander Bogaerts is a Top 5 shortstop no matter what
the hatersMLB Network says.
- Here’s a touch of good news for Baltimore: Dylan Bundy is bringing back his cutter.
- The 2017 Yankees could have a pretty serious baserunning problem on their hands
- Tampa Bay has signed Logan Morrison to a major league contract and Rickie Weeks to a minor league deal.
- Let’s talk about Jose Bautista’s role in this season’s lineup, shall we?
- What do you think of the Red Sox spring training hats?
- Thus far, the Orioles are coming out winners of their arbitration cases.
- These are the five best one-year deals Brian Cashman has made in his career as Yankees GM.