Though Erick Aybar is expected to start at shortstop for the Padres, the club is still considering long-term options, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman.
Aybar is set to become a free agent at the end of the year, which could create a sense of urgency for San Diego. Over 126 games last season, he hit .243/.303/.320 with three home runs and 34 RBIs. Still, he has proven to become a productive shortstop in the past.
Here is the latest from around the the National League West:
- Ross Stripling is preparing for any kind of role for the Dodgers, who need versatility with a fairly defined roster.
- At one point, several teams were competing to add Matt Moore. Can he prove to be an ace with the Giants?
- Chad Bettis will undergo additional chemotherapy, which is just awful news.
- Ketel Marte doesn’t walk much, but nonetheless, he will be a key part of Arizona’s 2017 season.
- Jered Weaver pitched with the Padres, who are hoping he can have more success than he did with the Angels, for the first time this week.