The Phillies have traded outfield prospect Joey Curletta to the Mariners in exchange for ambidextrous pitcher, Pat Venditte. While the flashy ambidextrous character trade tends to overshadow the 32-year old’s not-so-flashy 4.97 ERA, it is worth noting that he can shut down lefty batters. This creates the spot for him to come out of the bullpen as a southpaw reliever, a pivotal role Philadelphia can capitalize on. Now that Team Italy has been eliminated from the World Baseball Classic, Venditte will join the Phillies at spring training as a non roster invite.
Here’s what other news is boppin’ around the National League East:
- Nationals’ southpaw Enny Romero impressed everyone during his first World Baseball Classic appearance on Sunday for the Dominican Republic.
- Michael Conforto deserves a starting spot on this seasons Mets roster and this is why.
- Nick Williams is hustling through spring training to be the best Phillie he can be next season.
- The Marlins backloaded the prospected deal to Kenley Jansen which most likely resulted in the reliever resigning with the Dodgers. Let’s all take a moment to be quietly shocked.
- Bartolo didn’t do so well in his most recent start with the Braves but we’re willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
- Stephen Strasburg pitched a very promising spring training game to quick everyone light your prayer candles now.
- Did the East Coast snow totally ruin your Pi Day? Here are some fun Mets Pi Day facts to help you get your delayed fix.
- Will Brock Stassi be breaking into the Phillies 40-man? He’s got a decent change.
- Does it make sense for the Marlins to sign free agent Billy Butler?
- The Braves have landed nine players on FanGraphs’ Top 100 Prospects lists, so there is hope.
- The Nationals have been hibernating all offseason to make another run for the NL pennant, and they’re in the perfect position to do so.
- The Mets send Amed Rosario and a handful of other players down to minor league camps.
- Who will make up the Marlins 2017 rotation?
- The Braves have claimed LHP Kevin Chapman off of waivers from the Astros.