Though the club doesn’t have a clear target, the Tigers continue to monitor the market for center fielders with the intention of eventually adding depth, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
JaCoby Jones is hitting .346 this spring and as a result has likely emerged as the top internal candidate, according to Rosenthal, but as teams make roster cuts, other outfielders might be made available.
Tyler Collins is another internal option, though because he has struggled, he might not be receiving much attention. Detroit doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to make a move.
Here’s the latest from around the American League Central:
- It looks like Carlos Carrasco should be ready to start March 24, which would be ideal for the Indians.
- The Royals have several notable impending free agents, and there are probably too many for each to receive an extension.
- Lucas Giolito struggled in an outing earlier this week, but you probably shouldn’t look too much into that.
- With Trevor May injured, there are a handful of Twins starting candidates looking to capitalize on an opportunity.
- Though the Tigers don’t have a ton of depth, things in the outfield, specificially center, might not be as bad as they seem.