The Nationals have signed RHP Joe Blanton to a one year, $4M contract. Last year, the veteran posted a 2.48 ERA and a 3.33 FIP over the course of 80 innings pitched. This gives their bullpen a little more depth and their late game relievers some room to breathe.
Here’s what else is happening around the National League East:
- Can Odubel Herrera improve at all next season?
- For the next few weeks, David Wright will be suffering a should impingement. Let’s hope this is actually just a few weeks.
- Dee Gordon wants to bunt more in 2017 and honestly we’re here for it.
- Joe Blanton was an absolute steal for the Nationals. They’ve been a very sneaky team this offseason, will that translate over to the regular season?
- Kurt Suzuki is likely to be R.A. Dickey’s exclusive catcher this season.
- Real talk: is Pete Rose worthy to be on the Phillies’ Wall of Fame? Based on his coverage of last season’s World Series alone, I say yes.
- PSA: Lucas Duda swung a bat today. I know. Groundbreaking.
- Baseball America listed the Marlins dead last in their talent rankings. That’s going to be so embarrassing for them when Miami wins the World Series next year.
- If your plan is to draft Bryce Harper in your fantasy team this year, you may want to think again.
- Is Dansby Swanson setting himself up to be the Mike Trout of the Braves?
- Maikel Franco hit an inside the park home run a few games ago and no, this is not a super early “April fools!”, we’re serious.
- Fangraphs has released the Mets top 20 prospects and the future looks bright, my friends.
- On a more pleasant note for the Marlins, Wei-Yin Chen had a promising spring training debut.
- The Nationals are allegedly interested in Angel Pagan.