Barry Bonds will join the Giants front office. According to the team’s officially statement, Bonds’ job description is to “represent the organization at various community and organizational events.” San Francisco is also expected to officially retire Bonds’ number soon.
Here’s what else is going down in the National League West:
- Rockies’ pitcher Rayan Gonzales will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu continues to light up spring training and prove he’s deserving of a rotation spot.
- Michael Morse is hurt, leaving the Giants bench pretty cavernous.
- The Padres have released Paul Clemens.
- Who will rise as the Diamondbacks’ fifth starter?
- Since announcing he’ll have to endure chemotherapy for another manifestation of his testicular cancer, support for Chad Bettis has been flooding social media. #TogetherForBettis
- Willie Calhoun, Alex Verdugo, and three other Dodgers were sent to minor league camps. That leaves 46 players on the spring training roster.
- Will Smith’s MRI results came back showing UCL damage. Ouch.
- Can the Padres reinvent themselves?
- Arizona has optioned Braden Shipley and Matt Koch while assigning Jason Pridie and Keyvius Sampson.
- The new face of the Rockies? Colorado’s current rotation.
- Andre Ethier will potentially miss Opening Day due to a disc herniation in his back.
- Chris Herrmann is extremely useful.