Giants left-hander Will Smith is preparing to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery next week, according to CSN Bay Area’s Alex Pavlovic.
At the end of February, Smith was sidelined with what seemed to be inflammation, and though it seemed he would quickly recover, Smith experienced comparable discomfort earlier this week.
Over 40.1 innings with the Giants and Brewers last season, Smith pitched to a 3.35 ERA and 3.15 FIP.
Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- Jon Gray was removed from an earlier Rockies game due to a foot injury, which is bad news for Colorado.
- Brandon Morrow is healthy and seemingly ready to contribute with the Dodgers in 2017.
- Arizona announced its starting rotation to open the year, with Archie Bradley prepared to open the season in the bullpen.
- The Padres released Paul Clemens, which says quite a lot about San Diego’s pitching depth.
- Michael Morse is hurt, so the Giants have some decisions to make with regard to their bench.