The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Here is a roundup of what’s going on around the American League West.
- Giants reliever Will Smith will be out for the year after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
- Rougned Odor is close to reaching an extension with the Rangers.
- The Indians signed Jose Ramirez to a four-year extension Friday afternoon.
- Left-hander Ross Detwiler is expected to opt out of his minor league contract with the Athletics, according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Andre Ethier won’t be active until the beginning of April, according to Andy McCullough of The Los Angeles Times.
- Koda Glover seems to be the favorite to open the season as Washington’s closer, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman.
- Marlins starter Jeff Locke will seemingly miss all of April while recovering from tendinitis, according to Tim Healey of The Sun Sentinel.
- Francisco Lindor is not currently discussing a contract extension with the Indians, according to Joel Sherman of The New York Post.
- Colby Rasmus is a candidate to begin the year on the disabled list, according to Marc Topkin of The Tampa Bay Times.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 1976, the American League voted to expand to Toronto.