Tim Tebow will be making his Grapefruit League debut today. With a large portion of the Mets roster currently occupied by the World Baseball Classic, this is the optimal time for Tebow to, er, shine. His time spent in the Arizona Fall League last year was uninspired in way of baseball (but not in following your dreams), slashing .194/.296/.242 with 20 strikeouts. Not exactly sparkling numbers. But if you believe in a learning curve, this time in spring training could be just what Tebow needs. The former University of Florida quarterback will face Rick Porcello. Let’s all take a moment to pencil that into our calendars.
Here’s what else is going on in the National League East:
- As if this is brand new information, it’s more certain now than ever that Jeff Loria will sell the Marlins this year.
- The Nationals have reportedly signed John Lannon to a minor-league deal.
- Is this the worst time to be a Phillies fan? Well...probably.
- Ozzie Albie’s spring debut with the Braves has been postponed due to a rescheduled doctor’s appointment, so let’s not panic just yet.
- Fish Stripes sat down to talk to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi about what to expect out of the World Baseball Classic and it is not to be missed.
- Adam Eaton is confident he’ll be the same center fielder that he was in yesteryear, seriously.
- Aaron Nola survived his first spring training start for the Phillies this year, so let’s all collectively let out a breath.
- The Braves lose Christian Walker to the Reds on a waiver claim.
- Like almost every single other team in need of a decent hitter who can come off of the bench, the Mets have expressed interest in Brett Lawrie.
- Despite somewhat of a rocky start to spring, the Marlins are still looking like a competitive squad.
- Blake Treinen could be setting himself up to be Washington’s next closer.
- Cesar Hernandez is good, and have a future full of potential in Philadelphia, but he still needs a lot of work.
- Mike Foltynewicz was solid in his start for Atlanta against the Red Sox.
- Can the Mets’ starting line up come out of 2017 uninjured? Pretty please?