The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Here’s a look at what’s going on around the American League West.
- Dillon Gee re-signed to remain with the Rangers and could emerge as a fifth starting option.
- The Blue Jays signed Chris Coghlan to a minor league deal Saturday.
- Melvin Upton Jr. won’t make the Blue Jays Opening Day roster, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.
- Lefty Ross Detwiler opted out of his current minor league and re-signed a new minors deal with the Athletics, according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre will open the season on the disabled list, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan.
- The Rangers decided to have Keone Kela open the season in the minors as a result of his behavior in an unofficial spring game, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
- Eric Gagne is discussing a minor league deal with the Dodgers, according Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.
- The Rays designated Mike Franklin for assignment, according to Marc Topkin of The Tampa Bay Times.
- Left-hander Daniel Stumpf agreed to a major league deal with the Tigers and will be placed on the 40-man roster, according to Anthony Fenech of The Detroit Free Press.
- The Pirates sent Rule 5 draft pick Tyler Webb back to the Yankees, the club announced.
- The Reds released outfielder Desmond Jennings, according to Zach Buchanan of The Cincinnati Enquirer.
HEY YOU. YEAH, YOU! READING THIS! SB Nation’s 2017 Season Preview is out and it’s your one stop shop for the most thorough and professional predictions to watch for this season. Don’t be the only person around the water cooler who hasn’t read it.
Unhappy with your team’s general manager? Would like to throw them a parade? Little bit of both? Let your opinionated flag fly right here with our front office confidence survey.
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2012, Matt Cain signed a five-year extension with the Giants.