The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Here is a look at what’s going on around the National League East.
- It seems there is another group competing to buy the Marlins, meaning Derek Jeter might not win out after all.
- The Mets placed Yoenis Cespedes on the disabled list, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman, which isn’t good news for New York.
- Both Mitch Haniger and Felix Hernandez will likely miss three or four weeks of action because of injuries, the Mariners announced in a press release.
- The Tigers sent prospect Drew Smith to the Rays on Friday, according to Marc Topkin of The Tampa Bay Times.
- Toronto designated catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia for assignment Friday, the team announced.
- Ian Desmond is close to returning to the Rockies, according to Nick Groke of The Denver Post.
- Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier will be out until at least June, according to Andy McCullough of The Los Angeles Times.
- Tagg Romney’s group is still in the running to purchase the Marlins, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
- Denard Span’s MRI didn’t reveal any significant injuries, according to Henry Schulman of The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Shelby Miller is considering Tommy John surgery, according to FanRag Sports’ Tommy Stokke.
- The Marlins claimed Joe Gunkel off waivers from the Dodgers on Thursday, the team announced.
- Leonys Martin was outrighted to Triple-A after being designated for assignment, according to Ryan Divish of The Seattle Times.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little content here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2010, Roy Halladay lost his third straight complete game.