Another Blue Jays player heads to the DL this season. Catcher Russell Martin has gone down with nerve inflammation that has apparently been bothering him since the beginning on the season. Mike Ohlman has been called up to take Martin’s place behind the plate. This lingering nerve issue could lend itself to why Martin started off the season in such a rut.
There’s no timeline set for Martin’s return.
Here’s what else is going on in the American League East:
- Zach Britton is expected to be out for up to two months. Womp womp.
- In honor of Derek Jeter’s ceremony this coming Sunday, what is your favorite Derek Jeter memory?
- How frustrating is your baseball team? Check out the 2017 Frustration Rankings here.
- Watch Manny Ramirez hit his first home run in Japan! He also gets free unlimited sushi in his contract, is winning at everything.
- Will left hand pitcher be who the Blue Jays lust after most this year’s draft?
- Ubaldo Jimenez is running out of chances with the Orioles.
- Thanks to some of the most talented pitching the team has had in years, the Yankees own one of the best records in baseball right now.
- The Rays have blown 14 leads this season. That’s insane, given there hasn’t even been 50 games yet.
- The Red Sox bullpen will be the team’s dark horse this year.
- Here’s how Toronto’s batters have faired over the past two weeks.
- The Orioles unorthodox bullpen use is paying off ...so far.
- Greg Bird will be evaluated on Thursday, ten days after being placed on the disabled list.
- Very pressing question: Is Kevin Cash a Time Lord?