The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Voting for the All-Star game has officially started, so fill out your ballots out early and hope your favorite player is still healthy by the All-Star break.
Here’s a look at what’s going on around the American League West.
- Jeurys Familia will be out 3-4 months after blood clot surgery.
- Brandon Guyer will be out 4-6 weeks with a sprained wrist.
- The Phillies are listening to offers on Jeremy Hellickson, who is about to get super duper valuable.
- Bryce Harper and the Nationals have come to terms on a 1-year, $21.66M deal.
- Real talk: The Yankees retirement ceremony for Derek Jeter’s number was pretty great. It also had some of our writers in pretty...emotional states:
Me: I won't cry, I will handle this situation like an esteemed sports journalist.— Cristiana Caruso (@doublecee21) May 14, 2017
In honor of Derek Jeter night, every third fan sitting in the bleachers receives a souvenir baseball off the bat of an Astro— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) May 14, 2017
Wait, who the fuck is Derek Jeter?— Mike Bates (@MikeBatesSBN) May 10, 2017
- Aroldis Chapman will miss a month on the mound due to left shoulder inflammation.
- We need to know: what’s your team’s biggest MLB Draft blunder?
- Chris Iannetta got hit in the mouth with a fastball and it looks like what nightmares are made of.
- Which pro sports teams have the most retired numbers?
- Bryce Harper and Mike Trout are off to all-time starts (But you already knew that, didn’t you?)
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little content here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On May 16th, 2011, Drayton McLane sells the Astros for approximately $685 million to a group led by Jim Crane.