The Marlins have acquired Christian Colon off of waivers from Kansas City. The infielder slashed a mere .176/.222/.176 for the Royals, however that’s not the bulk of why Miami picked him up. The team is starved for defensive depth, and Colon is a low risk, big return type of situation. With Prado and Rojas both missing in action, Colon is about to see a lot of playing time for the Marlins.
In contrasting news, Miami has sent pitcher Tom Koehler to Triple-A after he surrendered eight runs to the Astros after just three innings. But this wasn’t just one rough outing for Koehler. The righty has had a difficult start to the year, earning only one win and lugging around a 7.04 ERA. The club has yet to announce who will take the open roster spot.
Here’s what else is goin’ down in the National League East:
- The Marlins have called up Mike Aviles.
- The Mets have finally officially placed Asdrubal Cabrera on the disabled list. Now we can all have closure.
- The Braves have placed Adonis Garcia on the 10-day disabled list.
- Aaron Nola appears ready to make his return to Philadelphia.
- Here’s Bryce Harper doing Bryce Harper things and reminding us how good at baseball he is.
- The Mets to sign Neil Ramirez to a big league contract.
- Is now (finally) the time to trade Julio Teheran?
- Brace yourselves: Jeremy Hellickson speculation is coming.
- Could the Nats be looking at Erick Fedde as potential relief help?