The Blue Jays have signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a minor-league contract. Yes, again. Salty was let go by Toronto a few months ago after posting a...well, a .040 batting average. And that was only ten games into the season. However, the Blue Jay could stand to have a little extra veteran presence. Russell Martin is still hurt and a lot is riding on his staying healthy. But for now, Salty will resume is post behind the plate with the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons.
Here’s what else is poppin’ around the American League East:
- “Dellin Betances is good enough to close games,” said the people who five months ago argued that Betances was not qualified to be the team’s closer.
- Corey Dickerson: actual real live home run machine.
- Can Robby Scott maintain his place as the Red Sox’ top lefty?
- Toronto has placed Steve Pearce on the 10-day disabled list.
- The Orioles bullpen is finally at full strength... sort of.
- What on Earth is wrong with Masahiro Tanaka?
- Alex Cobb is doing much better adapting to his post-Tommy John pitching arsenal.
- David Price could be returning next week.
- The Orioles have three catchers now since that’s obviously very necessary.