The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Voting for the All-Star game has officially started, so fill out your ballots out early and hope your favorite player is still healthy by the All-Star break.
Here’s a look at what’s going on around the American League East.
- The Blue Jays re-signed catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
- Jung ho-Kang lost his DUI appeal, which means he now faces an eight-month sentence.
- Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman is expected to miss a significant amount of time because of a broken wrist.
- The Angels signed Doug Fister, adding a veteran arm to their pitching staff.
- Toronto suspended Kevin Pillar for two games after he used a homophobic slur on Wednesday night.
- Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole might prove to be type of pitcher the Astros need to add before the non-waiver trade deadline.
- Atlanta signed James Loney to a minor league deal, giving them additional depth.
- Every team has a different set of needs in advance of this year’s MLB Draft.
- The Nationals are still considering closing options, and David Robertson remains a candidate, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman.
- The Red Sox designated Chase d’Arnaud for assignment, according to Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe.
- Tampa Bay acquired Michael Martinez from Cleveland on Thursday, the club announced.
- The Padres placed Trevor Cahill on the 10-day disabled list with a shoulder injury, they announced.
- Baltimore designated Francisco Pena for assignment the club announced.
- Pittsburgh put Gregory Polanco on the 10-day disabled list, according to Bill Brink of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little content here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2012, Justin Verlander was two outs away from pitching a no-hitter against the Pirates.