The Yankees are sending their high priced center fielder to the seven day disabled list with a concussion. Jacoby Ellsbury left the game in the second inning after slamming headfirst into the outfield wall while chasing down Alcides Escobar’s first pitch long ball.
It’s worth noting the Ellsbury made the catch and that it was awesome. You can watch a video of it here. The 33-year old was having a pretty good start to 2017, hitting a .281 ERA and four home runs. Ellsbury also sustained a neck sprain during the crash. There’s no timetable for his immediate return, but it looks like the Yankees won’t rush him back onto the field.
Here’s what else is goin’ down in the American League East:
- Red Sox offense struggles against starting pitchers, as they proved last night.
- Rays place Diego Moreno on the disabled list and recall Ryan Garton.
- Dwight Smith has been sent back to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Hot take alert: Hyun Soo Kim deserves a bigger role on the Orioles.
- LET THE YANKEES HAVE FUN FOR ONCE, GOODNESS GRACIOUS.
- Could the Red Sox still be interested in Jose Quintana?
- Tommy Hunter to begin his rehab assignment in the coming days.
- Blue Jay’s Anthony Alford has been placed on the disabled list.
- Adam Jones just set the all-time Camden Yards home run record, because he’s out here doing Adam Jones things.
- What moves should the Yankees make before the trade deadline?
- Big Papi in a graduation gown is your newest spirit animal.
- The Blue Jays activate Russell Martin from the disabled list.