Colorado activates Ian Desmond and designates Cristhian Adames for assignment. Desmond was the Rockies’ blockbuster offseason move, signing a five year, $70M contract with Colorado. The Rockies also gave up their first round draft pick this year for Desmond...why is still a mystery. The first baseman—but upon his return, left fielder— was hit by a pitch during spring training, breaking his metatarsal.
Adames did not record a single hit in 14 plate appearances, so I don’t think anyone was shocked that he was slated to give up his roster spot for Desmond.
Here’s what else is happening in the National League West:
- David Dahl is “still a ways away” from his return to Rockies.
- Here’s a crash course in the basics of hitter valuation.
- The Dodgers are trying very hard to manage Gonzalez’s health.
- Get to know Bryan Morris and his sinker.
- What Padres should fans be most concerned about?
- Here’s something to look forward to in the future: the Rockies could be buyers at trade deadline.
- Shelby Miller will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- The man, the myth, the weirdo Cory Bellinger made his first start at first base.
- April was not good for the Giants. Like, very, very not good.
- Travis Jankowski may have a fractured foot.
- Is it time to pull the plug on the Fernando Rodney Experience?
- Los Angeles activated Franklin Gutierrez from the disabled list and in turn, optioned Scott Van Slyke.
- The Giants aren’t walking as much as they did last year.