Mets ace right-hander Noah Syndergaaard is looking to get a second opinion on his partial lat tear, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
Syndergaard is flying to Los Angeles to visit Dr. Neal ElAttrache, a world-renowned orthopedic surgeon who is also the head team physician for the Dodgers and the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams. Sherman says the “initial conservative estimate” for how long Synderdaard will be sidelined is three months.
Syndergaard was placed on the 10-day disabled list Monday after leaving his start against the Nationals on Sunday with one out in the second inning. However, the Mets said that there was no timetable for his return.
The injury came after a hectic week for the 24-year-old in regards to his health status. He had told reporters that he had felt some pain in his biceps while throwing earlier in the week. After taking anti-inflammatory medication for the pain, he was scratched from his start Thursday against the Braves after feeling slight pain while catching fly balls and he could not lift his arm above his shoulder. Mets manager Terry Collins said at the time that Syndergaard had a “tired arm.” Even Syndergaard said that he felt the injury wasn’t a serious one and that he told the Mets he would not need an MRI on the arm, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.
Currently, the Mets have Rafael Montero pitching in Syndergaard’s spot in the rotation. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson did tell Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News that Syndergaard’s injury “accelerates” the process of looking for possible pitching depth moving forward. However, Alderson said pitchers who are out on the market may not be ready to pitch for them until “about the time” pitchers Seth Lugo and Steven Matz return to the team. Lugo and Matz are on the 10-day disabled list with inflamed elbow injuries.