The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
Voting for the All-Star game has officially started, so fill out your ballots out early and hope your favorite player is still healthy by the All-Star break.
Here is a look at what’s going on around the American League East.
- The Athletics placed reliever Sean Doolittle on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury.
- Mets starter Noah Syndergaard received good news as he pursued a second opinion on his partial lat tear, which should prove to be beneficial for the Mets.
- The Yankees activated catcher Gary Sanchez from the disabled list to start against the Cubs on Friday afternoon.
- St. Louis placed outfielder Stephen Piscotty on the 10-day disabled list with a hamstring injury.
- Ian Kennedy was placed on the 10-day DL Friday, which doesn’t bode well for the Royals pitching staff.
- Eric Gagne signed with the Long Island Ducks.
- James Paxton’s left forearm strain landed him a spot on the 10-day DL, the Mariners announced Friday.
- Orioles closer Zach Britton underwent an MRI Friday for the same forearm injury that plagued him in April, according to BaltimoreBaseball.com’s Dan Connolly.
- The Mariners optioned catcher Mike Zunino to Triple-A Takoma, according to Ryan Divish of The Seattle Times.
- The Dodgers placed Adrian Gonzalez on the disabled list with tendinitis, the team announced.
- The Twins designated Danny Santana for assignment, according to MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger.
- Toronto designated pitcher Mat Latos for assignment, the club announced.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little content here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2012, Omar Vizquel became the oldest player to play shortstop in Major League Baseball history.