The Nationals placed Shawn Kelley on the disabled list with a back injury Friday, according to MASN’s Mark Zuckerman. Matt Grace was recalled from Triple-A in the corresponding roster move.
Kelley, 33, hasn’t fared well with the Nationals this season, pitching to a 5.40 ERA and 7.84 FIP over 10 innings to complement three saves.
In Kelley’s absence, the Nationals will be forced to turn to other relievers late in games. While Kelley has closing experience, Koda Glover might soon emerge as the favorite to pitch the ninth. Washington could also explore external options.
Here’s the latest from around the National League East:
- Aaron Nola isn’t really getting better, which has come to surprise Phillies fans of late.
- The Braves recently promoted left-hander Sam Freeman, who has had difficulty throwing strikes at times throughout his career but is receiving an opportunity with Atlanta.
- The Mets placed catcher Travis d’Arnaud on the disabled list with a bone bruise on his wrist and recalled Rafael Montero in the corresponding roster move.
- Edinson Volquez and Wei-Yin Chen are both on the DL, two notable blows to Miami’s rotation.
- Stephen Strasburg hit a home run Friday night, and it’s worth watching again.