James Paxton has been sent to 10-Day DL in one of the worst things that could happen to Seattle. The Mariners’ ace has gone down via a very cringeworthy forearm strain. But before Seattle fans abandon all hope, it appears Paxton’s injury may only cost him a few starts.
Should know more soon, but early indications are Paxton's situation isn't too serious. But he'll obviously miss a start or two at least.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) May 5, 2017
However, when your 3-0 starter with a 1.43 ERA and 45 strikeouts goes down, even the slightest silver lining feels tarnished. Evan Marshall has been called up from Triple-A Tacoma to fill the Paxton sized hole in the rotation.
Here’s what else is going on in the American League West:
- Angels trade minor league pitcher Jordan Kipper to Orioles for Damien Magnifico.
- The Mariners have called up Christian Bergman.
- The Rangers have called up Austin Bibens-Dirkx and optioned Dario Alvarez.
- Could Marwin Gonzalez be MLB’s next mid-career breakout star?
- Why can’t the A’s ever draft strong position players?
- Los Angeles called up Keynan Middleton for some much needed bullpen assistance.
- Texas has traded catcher Pat Cantwell, who has also won an award for the most inconvenient last name ever.
- Astros purchase Casey Coleman’s contract from Atlantic League.
- Click here to watch Saturday’s epic Athletics comeback in the 9th inning against K-Rod.
- Luis Valbuena has been activated by the Angels.
- Guillermo Heredia is forging a new path for Cuban players in MLB.
- The Rangers have activated A.J. Griffin from the DL and optioned Anthony Bass.
- Have you bought your signature Khris Davis t-shirt yet? Better get on that, it’d be awkward to be the only person who didn’t have one.