The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
The draft is quickly approaching and things are going to start to move at the speed of light, so check out our Mock Draft 2.0 for a look at who your favorite teams could be picking. Check back here for updates as we get closer to June 12.
What’s going on in baseball today?
- Check out the latest from around the National League West.
- The Dodgers added Fabio Castillo to their 40-man roster.
- Rays outfielder Kevin Kiermaier is going to be out for about two months with a hip injury.
- You should get to know these five catchers in advance of next month’s MLB draft.
- The Cardinals designated Jhonny Peralta for assignment, which is a sign he could be traded.
- Tampa Bay acquired Tyler Featherston, who is set to join the team’s major league roster.
- With the draft right around the corner, it seems pretty clear who the first fews picks will be.
- Milwaukee promoted Josh Hader to the majors.
- The Orioles placed Darren O’Day on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, which is bad news for their bullpen.
- Take a look at our Q&A with Pavin Smith.
- It seems the Pirates have decided to take Tony Watson out of the closer’s role, according to Stephen J. Nesbitt of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- New York is expected to activate Yoenis Cespedes from the disabled list Saturday, according to James Wagner of The New York Times.
- Justin Turner was back in the Dodgers lineup Friday, which is good news for the Los Angeles offense.
- The Mariners signed shortstop Ryan Jackson to a minor league contract, according to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy.
- The White Sox landed Alen Hanson off waivers, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little contest here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
Are you excited for the draft? Of course you are. Get even more excited and more informed with this 2017 MLB draft prospect Q&A series done by our very own Chris Cotillo. Why wouldn’t you want the inside scoop on someone your team could draft?
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2011, Tony La Russa managed his 5,000th career MLB game.