Royals left-hander Jason Vargas is among the starters teams seeking pitching depth have expressed interest in, according to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe.
Vargas, 34, has had a dominant season, pitching to a 2.18 ERA and 3.31 FIP over 74.1 innings spanning 12 starts. He’s walked just 17 hitters this season.
If Vargas keeps his ERA in the mid-two range, he would end the season having pitched one of the best years of his career.
Here’s the latest from around the American League Central:
- Twins prospect Nik Turley is set to make his major league debut against the Giants on Sunday.
- Don’t look now, but the Indians offense is slowly coming around.
- Rick Renteria has made it clear that he doesn’t mind confronting players during games.
- Alex Avila seemingly deserves to be an AL All-Star.
- Hunter Dozier suffered a wrist fracture, which isn’t the best of news for the Royals.