The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
DO YOU KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS? I CAN’T HEAR YOU! Welcome to draft day, everyone. At MLB Daily Dish, we are your one stop shop for all things before, during, and after the draft. Not only will be we covering the draft live as it happens, but we have some excellent reading material for you as you count down the moments to the first overall pick.
I bet you’re wondering, “Wow, I’m so excited about the draft, but what time is it on? How can I watch it?”. We’re mind readers here too, no biggie.
Draft Time: 7pm, EST
Draft Location: MLB Studios, Secaucus, New Jersey
Draft Channel: MLB Network will be airing the first round as well as the Competitive Balance Round A. Not near a TV? MLB.com will be streaming it as well.
Extended Draft Coverage: MLB.com will be taking over the rest of the way, streaming the remainder of the draft, including Competitive Balance Round B and Round 2 on Monday. Tuesday will be Rounds 3 - 10, starting at 1pm EST and Wednesday is Rounds 11 - 40 (yes, 40), starting a noon EST.
Check out our final mock here for some last minute preparations.
We know you’re already boiling over with draft sugar plums dancing in your head. Here’s a little more fuel to the fire with this 2017 MLB draft prospect Q&A series done by our very own Chris Cotillo. Why wouldn’t you want the inside scoop on someone your team could draft?
Here are the big name catchers, outfielders, infielders, and pitchers in this year’s draft that you should to be the Ruler of the Water Cooler.
Peep the draft order right here and set your alarms for your team’s first round pick.
Now that we’ve covered that, what’s going on in baseball today?
- Check out the latest from around the American League Central.
- The Angels designated Shane Robinson for assignment.
- College baseball is such a pure form of baseball. The fans are no different. Applaud these four heroic Florida fans that are committed to seeing the Gators advance.
- Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman appears ready to be activated from the disabled list next weekend, according to NJ.com’s Mark Fischer.
- Tyler Pill was optioned to Triple-A, according to Mike Puma of The New York Post. Because the Mets just don’t make sense anymore.
- Padres reliever Carter Capps was activated from the disabled list, according to MLB.com’s AJ Cassavell.
- Aaron Judge hit a 495-FOOT HOME RUN because he is not a human. Theory confirmed.
- Sonny Gray is one of the pitchers teams are expressing trade interest in, according to Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe.
- The Red Sox are scouting a Royals’ reliever.
- Mike Matheny’s job isn’t so safe anymore.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little contest here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
2017 MLB Pre-July Trade Tracker
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On June 12th, 1997, the first interleague game in history is played.