The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
The draft is unfortunately over. Is it too early to start planning for next year? Over 1200 players have officially been selected. And hey, you never know, there could be a Mike Piazza, Jarrod Dyson or Kevin Siegrist hiding somewhere at number 1199.
Find our full recap of the first day of the draft here.
What’s going on in baseball today?
- A lot (a lot!) of good players were drafted on Monday and they deserve you page view. Check out the draft tracker to see where they all went and our Q&As with a good chunk of the first round to get inside their heads.
- Check out the latest news in the American League East.
- The Cardinals have released Jhonny Peralta.
- And just like that...the Red Sox are interested in signing Peralta. Silver lining?
- The Brewers have officially DFA’ed Neftali Feliz, and yes we’re surprised it took this long too.
- The Rangers have acquired Joely Rodriguez.
- Phillies’ Cesar Hernandez to miss 6 weeks with an oblique injury.
- Yasiel Puig has been suspended 1 game for obscene gesture. Or, if you’ve never seen that “obscene gesture” before, maybe just sit in the stands of a baseball game?
- Want to stay up to date with your team’s newest start? Here’s how to follow every top draft pick on social media.
- The Cubs are selling old World Series ivy for $200 a leaf since we’re all still suckers and want to be apart of it all. Also, I’m selling a pen Derek Jeter touched one, let me know your best offer.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little contest here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
2017 MLB Pre-July Trade Tracker
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose.
And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance. (Our lawyers have instructed us to omit that last sentence.)
Today in baseball: On June 15th, 1999, Brewers' pitcher Jim Abbott, born without a right hand, gets his first hit in his 11-year career.