Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez will head to the disabled list after sustaining a knee injury while slipping in the bullpen Thursday night, a source first told Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski confirmed to reporters, including Evan Drellich of Comcast Sportsnet, that Brian Johnson will likely fill Rodriguez’s spot.
Rodriguez had suffered the fall during pregame warmups. He went on to have a rough outing in Boston’s 7-5 loss to the Orioles, giving up seven runs on eight hits — four of which here home runs — in 5 2⁄3 innings pitched.
After the game, he told reporters he was not pitching hurt. He also told them that the fall was “nothing crazy” and he “landed a bit different,” but he did not want to use that as his excuse for his poor performance.
In his third season with the Red Sox, Rodriguez has gone 4-2 with a 3.54 ERA in 11 appearances, including 10 starts. The 24-year-old from Valencia, Venezuela had a solid rookie season in 2015, going 10-6 with a 3.85 ERA in 21 starts, but was 3-7 with a 4.71 ERA in 20 starts last year in a season in which he also had knee issues.
With Rodriguez out of the rotation, the Red Sox will be down another solid starter for some time. David Price just rejoined the team after being on the DL for the entire season so far and Steven Wright is expected to miss the rest of the year after undergoing surgery on his knee.