The Giants designated third baseman Aaron Hill for assignment, making Ryder Jones the team’s third base option, according to NBC Sports Bay Area’s Alex Pavlovic.
Hill, 35, struggled to produce in San Francisco. Over 34 games, he hit .132/.250/.235 with one home run and seven RBIs. He’s a veteran and career .266 hitter who might receive an opportunity with a team seeking bench depth.
With Eduardo Nunez out, Jones is the likely candidate to receive the majority of the playing time.
Here’s the latest from around the National League West:
- Corey Seager won’t be placed on the disabled list with a hamstring injury but could still be sidelined for a bit.
- The Diamondbacks have had a competitive season, but that doesn’t mean they will definitely buy this summer.
- Jon Gray is set to return to the Rockies, and his arrival couldn’t come at a bigger time.
- Take a glance at this list of players who were both Padres and Tigers.
- Eduardo Nunez likes the way San Francisco’s future looks, but he might not be a part of it.