The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD and rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
The draft is quickly approaching and things are going to start to move at the speed of light, so check out our Mock Draft 2.0 for a look at who your favorite teams could be picking. Check back here for updates as we get closer to June 12th!
Here’s the latest from around the National League West.
- The Giants called up Austin Slater.
- Meet Major League Draft prospect Jeren Kendall.
- Ernesto Frieri opted out of his contract with the Yankees, even after he thrived in Triple-A.
- Nothing seems to be moving quickly, but it appears the Cubs have approached Kris Bryant about a new contract.
- The Angels signed Michael Bourn to a minor league contract.
- Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodriguez was placed on the disabled list, which is bad news for Boston’s staff.
- Seattle placed Jean Segura on the 10-day disabled list Friday, the club announced.
- The Rangers officially announced that they designated right-hander Sam Dyson for assignment.
- In order to create a roster spot for Slater, the Giants designated Justin Ruggiano for assignment, according to CSN Bay Area’s Alex Pavlovic.
- Bobby Parnell opted out of his current deal with the Royals and is now a free agent, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
- Mat Latos, who was pitching with Toronto’s minor league affiliate, was released by the Blue Jays, according to Ben Wagner, the team’s broadcaster.
HEY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little content here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks during this year’s cold and flu season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose. And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance.
Today in baseball: On this day in 2003, Derek Jeter was named one of the team’s captains.