The MLB Daily Dish is a daily feature we're running here at MLBDD that rounds up roster-impacting news, rumors, and analysis. Have feedback or have something that should be shared? Hit us up at @mlbdailydish on Twitter or @MLBDailyDish on Instagram.
Good morning baseball fans!
What’s going on in baseball today?
Still haven’t caught up on draft coverage like you’ve been telling yourself? We’ve got you covered. Check out the draft tracker to see where the hyped up players went and our Q&As with a good chunk of the first round to get inside their heads.
- Here’s what’s going on around the National League Central.
- The Cubs appear to be seeking catching depth and are interested in Alex Avila.
- The Mariners already have a pretty solid offense, but pitching could be their focus in advance of the trade deadline.
- Minnesota has performed well to this point but might not be positioned to remain competitive if they don’t add this summer.
- Though Reds shortstop Zack Cozart has been mentioned in trade rumors, it seems the two sides might also be open to an extension, according to Zach Buchanan of The Cincinnati Enquirer.
- The Angels acquired Nick Franklin from Milwaukee, the team announced Friday.
- The Rockies announced Friday that they designated reliever Chad Qualls for assignment.
- Boston is set to release Allen Craig, according to Brian MacPherson of The Providence Journal.
- Prospect Nick Williams is joining the Phillies, according to CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury.
EY, YOU! Want to play general manager, flex your baseball prowess, and win cool swag all at once? Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’re running a little contest here at MLB Daily Dish. If you can correctly predict the first big name player that’s traded this season and who they’re traded to, you’ll walk away with a cool prize and some sick bragging rights. Comment on this article right here to officially enter and don’t forget to keep checking back here to see all the juicy trade rumors that could swipe you the prize. Good luck!
They say laughter is the best medicine, and we don’t want you taking any risks this allergy season. Better head on over to our Instagram, @MLBDailyDish, for your daily dose.
And don’t worry, we’ll be sure to bill your insurance. (Our lawyers have instructed us to omit that last sentence.)
Today in baseball: On this day in 2010, Kirk Gibson became Arizona’s manager.