Chris Carter is a Rangers target, according to Jon Heyman. The former NL home runs leader was released by the Yankees last week after giving an underwhelming performance the first half of the year. The Rangers already have a power hitting first baseman / designated hitter in Mike Napoli, so if Carter’s deal is a major league one he’ll probably be used a pitch hitter or to give Napoli a day off. The Athletics are have also expressed interested in the 30-year old.
Here’s what other news is floating around the American League West:
- Billy Beane is finally rebuilding the Athletics and so help us it had better work this time (and no more Brad Pitt please).
- The Angels have designated second baseman Danny Espinosa for assignment.
- Could the Mariners have a potential trade partner in the Diamondbacks? Last time to two teams struck a deal it turned out pretty well.
- The Astros place Will Harris on the 10-day disabled list.
- As upsetting it is, the Doolittle / Madson trade fits Oakland’s rebuild and improves game of baseball.
- Half way through the year, here how the Angels’ prospects are performing.
- The Texas Rangers trade Yeyson Yrizarri for international bonus pool money.
- The Athletics youth movement is here and it’s wonderful.