In a trade with the Detroit Tigers, the Diamondbacks have acquired All-Star outfielder J.D. Martinez. Heading the Tigers will will be infield prospects Jose King, Dawel Lugo, and Sergio Alcantara.
The Dbacks are surprise presence in post-season contention. In an effort to widen their one game lead in the NL Wild Card, Arizona was on the hunt for a big bat. They found just that in the 29-year old, who is slugging a slash line of .305/.388/.630 his season, smashing 16 homers and 39 RBIs.
Martinez is owed $4M for the rest of the season.
Here’s what other news is poppin’ across the National League West:
- The Rockies need to go after a catcher and this is literally the best time to do it.
- Giants sign Jack Conlon, Orioles’ 4th-round pick of 2017 MLB Draft. Naturally.
- The Padres have sent Austin Hedges to the disabled list.
- Now’s the time to love Paul Goldschmidt a little harder and buy this “America’s First Baseman”, shirt.
- The Rockies are interested in Orioles pitchers Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy.
- The Rays are interested in Hunter Strickland.
- Cody Bellinger the first Dodgers rookie to hit for the cycle, because there aren’t enough milestones for him to reach.
- Cool Baseball Story Alert: A San Diego prospects just made history.
- The Rockies reinstate Ian Desmond and place Tyler Chatwood on the disabled list. How many cups of coffee will Desmond stay for this time?
- The Astros are reportedly doing ‘background work’ on Jeff Samardzija.