Before the rumors pour in by the dozens, each team must internally answer one question heading into the trade deadline: will they be buyers or sellers? Well, the Orioles have officially gotten the green light to liquidate the team for the good of...well, someone, eventually, maybe.
One of the biggest names on the list of potential tradees is closer Zack Britton. Darren O’Day also makes that list. But there’s one player who still has an unclear future with the franchise, trade deadline or otherwise: Manny Machado. No word yet on if Dan Duquette has even pondered moving him.
This doesn’t exactly mean that Baltimore has slapped, “Everything must go”, across their bullpen, but having movable big names like Britton gives them a little leverage as we creep closer to July 31st.
Here’s what other news is happening across the American League East:
- The Blue Jays place Mike Bolsinger on the disabled list and call up Cesar Valdez.
- The Orioles top pitching prospects are providing little certainty about rotation’s future, also sorry to ruin your Thursday.
- The Rays acquire Chaz Roe from the Atlanta Braves.
- Following that White Sox trade, New York’s bullpen is set up for future success.
- Red Sox release Pablo Sandoval, who is immediately signed by the Giants. The trade deadline is weird.
- Francisco Liriano is expected to start today for Toronto.
- These are the top three reasons why the Orioles bullpen has struggled. You’ve definitely already guessed one of them.
- The Rays are among those in on Phillies’ Pat Neshek.
- Ranking Brian Cashman’s best and worst Yankees trades, because the Cash Man is human too.
- Is Dave Dombrowski really prone to overpaying in trades?