Even after securing closers Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madsen, the Nationals have not satiated their hunger for closing pitching. Their latest target is Marlins’ starter, A.J. Ramos. Washington is in contention with the Cubs and Rockies, who are also vying after the 30-year old. GM Mike Rizzo has stated that if the club finds a deal that appeals to them, they’re willing to make more moves before the 31st.
Ramos is pitching a 3.86 ERA with 19 saves this season, over 37.1 innings. The Nationals were also interested in former Miami relief pitcher David Phelps who has since been traded to Seattle.
Here’s what else is going on across the National League East:
- The Athletics are expressing interest in Braves’ prospect Ronald Acuna in Sonny Gray trade talks.
- Let’s all take a moment to fantasize about the Phillies trade deadline that could have been.
- The Mets have placed Zack Wheeler on the disabled list with stress reaction and recalled Tyler Pill from Las Vegas.
- Stephen Strasburg had a nerve impingement which has been alleviated.
- The Marlins have placed both Justin Bour and JT Riddle on the 10-Day DL.
- The Braves land nine players on the revised MLB Pipeline ‘Top 100 Prospects’.
- The Phillies have optioned Ricardo Pinto and recalled Jake Thompson.
- Neil Ramirez has cleared waivers and elected for free agency.
- Sorry to break it to ya, but Martin Prado is likely still getting traded.
- Meet your newest Atlanta Brave freshly acquire from the Jaime Garcia deal, Huascar Ynoa.
- Michael Conforto is on track to make a huge name for himself in Mets’ history this year.